Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Google definitely changed the way of thinking

I started to use google since 2003, and became more and more addictive to it. Yes, I love Google, I guess I could not finish ~90% of my research type of tasks without it. But the funny joke I made today let me think maybe I used it too much.

The story is: I need to found what happened in DB when I do certain operations in an application I have never seen before. So I start to trace sql using the profiler. I have used a few basic functionalities of profiler for couple of years, but never touched any 'advanced' functionalities. But this time, I saw too much other sql commands which I don't care, so I decide to use some 'advanced' function of column filter to exclude them. I decide to exclude commands like 'exec sp_reset_connection ' and 'exec sp_VerifyUserSession ', then I found the column filter easily and input the first '%sp_reset_connection%' under the Not Like item. But the funny thing is I don't know how to input the 2nd Not Like item. See the following dialog, it is a pretty simple UI and I cannot find any buttons/hints from it.



So I try to use '%sp_reset_connection% OR %sp_VerifyUserSession%', '%sp_reset_connection% AND %sp_VerifyUserSession%', but they are not working. Then I begin to think maybe I should use some special symbols like && or to replace the AND/OR. So I think I'd better google it. I searched 6 groups of keywords, and read about 10 different articles but still didn't find a solution.




I began to feel frustrated, and decided to go to ask our DBA. Well, I know it sounds funny, but asking co-workers for general technical issues is the last thing I prefer to do. I saw the DBA was on a phone, so I tried it by myself for the last shoot. I pressed the Enter key at the end of the ''%sp_reset_connection%', and to my surprise, the magic happened and the 2nd item appeared. I cannot help laughing at myself for 1 whole minute.



Besides blaming my addiction to Google, I have to blame MS for this dialog. It is really a weird UI design of activating the next item only by pressing the Enter key.

No comments: